October the 15-th the Russian and Greek orthodox churches celebrate the day of St. Theodore Gavras, the glorious Great Martyr and brave athlete of the Lord, martyred from the Muslims for his refusal to accept Islam in 1098. Being canonized for his martyrdom by the Orthodox church, he became patron of the Theodoro principality in the medieval Crimea, which was named by his descendants in honor of their heavenly patron. In the XV-th century the city on the Mangup plateau was mentioned as San-Teodoro.
The members of the “St. Theodore Gavras society” and the Bahchisaray Greek community “Doros” visited cave monastery Chelter-Koba, where its senior priest hieromonk Daniel served a public prayer for St. Theodore Gavras.
Members of the “St. Theodore Gavras society” before the public prayer
The monastery Chelter-Koba is situated near the village Maloye Sadovoye. The cave complex of monastery is cut in the base of the rock cape, known in Crimean toponymy as the Cape of Saint Theodore.
St. Theodore cave monastery
The complex of monastery consists of cave temple, cells and refectory, connected by the paths hacked in the rock monolith. To the south from the monastery the holy spring is situated in the small canyon of HorHor.
There are more then 50 caves in the monastery which are situated onto 4 flours. Monastery was founded supposedly in the XIII-XIV-th centuries near the northern borders of the Theodoro principality, under the protection of the fortress of Suuren
. The main temple of the monastery was named after St. Theodore. Although some years ago it was blessed in the name of st. Theodore Stratilat, in the medieval Crimea is was supposedly devoted to St. Theodore Gavras.
The cave temple of St. Theodore.
The divine services in the main temple are renewed in 2005, the part of the cells and belfry are restored.